Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Buoyancy Control Device (BCD)

A few years back, I have been introduced by my eldest brother to a new hobby that till now become my favourite hobby for all time which Scuba Diving. I must admit at first Its quite scared to try-out this hobby. Firstly, I'm not quite a swimmer and second you expect me to jump myself in the ocean that is deep , dark and dangerous which is crazy to try out. Just imagine  to dive in open water ocean and go as deep as 18 metres (The deepest I have been dive is 23 metres). So many unwanted thing crossing my mind. But I have been through all that horror and now I feel very confident to jump in the water even without the gear :)



My first scuba license I earned it at B&J Dive centre at Tioman along with my dive buddies which now become all time diver. For the past years we have been diving at locals dive sites of Malaysia Islands such as Pulau Tioman , Pulau Perhentian, Pulau Sipadan, Pulau Mabul & many more. This experience have thought me to care about the marine life and how important we preserve it.  The ocean is beautiful and to experience this wonder is beyond words.

In scuba diving, divers learn about scuba diving gears which is important for divers to learn to use it correctly and able to maintain it as unwanted incidence is the last thing we want to have especially when in the water. So its important that we know how to handle our dive gears and know how its function.  Basic dive gears such as Mask, Snorkels, BCD, Regulators, Air Tank, Fins, Wet Suit, Dive Computer are a few things that diver need to have when diving. One of the dive gears that I plan to buy is Buoyancy Control Device (BCD)

Buoyancy Compensate Device (BCD)
Generally, there is 2 types of BCD that been used famously for leisure diving (Not for Technical Diving). A Jacket BCD or a Backplate/Wing BCD. It came with different shape, size and brands. Some BCDs offers specialities such as lightweight (for frequent air travellers), functions, accessories and many more. Depend on the diver needs. Actually a BCD can be customize with different set of brands as long as the end is function as safe BCD. It also need be care and maintain.


Wing BCD/Backplate BCD
 
Jacket Type BCD (Looks like a Jacket)


Both of this BCD offer a difference feeling of handling when diver went diving. Most of beginners will experience to use Jacket type BCD rather than Wing BCD.

Wing Type/Backplate BCD:



Diver with centre of buoyancy to the back will rotate forwards

Diver with weight and centre of buoyancy aligned for level trim: The static moments of buoyancy and weight keep the diver horizontal, and fin thrust can be aligned with direction of motion for best efficiency

Jacket Type BCD:

Diver with low centre of buoyancy may rotate further, but not very strongly

Diver trimmed with weight far towards the feet: The static moments of buoyancy and weight cause the feet to rotate downwards, and the thrust from finning is then also directed downwards

Off all this, the  reason for me to choose Backplate BCD is because of it offer more flexibility in the water.  Diver can get more movement especially when they bring underwater camera when diving. Also back plate BCD come with a adjustable harness can be adjust with your body size compared to Jacket style BCD that have size in S, M, L and XL. Backplate BCD also looks cooler than jacket type BCD (Looks like technical diver)



Due to all this reason I will go for Backplate BCD for my first BCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment